Mini-Gastric Bypass Surgery
Also called the omega loop weight loss surgery and single anastomosis bypass.
Back to:Weight Loss Surgeries
with a Buddy!
Do you have a friend or family member who is going to get weight loss surgery? Do it together!
- Save $100 per surgery.
- Share a large double room at the hospital.
- Share the hotel room with two queen-sized beds.
- A friend or family member experiencing the exact same things as you.
Support each other in Mexico and have a weight loss surgery twin for life!
The Mini Gastric Bypass (MGB) bariatric surgery is a restrictive and malapsorptive procedure. It is also called the omega loop weight loss surgery and single anastomosis bypass. The procedure has been around for a while, but it has recently become very popular and suitable for patients that have regained with other weight loss procedures. The MGB may be lower-risk for some patients. BariatricPalTeamMX’s surgeons are recognized experts in Laproscopic Mini Gastric Bypass surgery. They’ve performed thousands of Gastric Bypass procedures with the lowest complication rates in Mexico and zero fatalities. You will not find a more experienced Mini Gastric Bypass surgical team - anywhere! You will not find a more experienced Mini Gastric Bypass surgical team - anywhere!
The MGB is usually done as a laparoscopic procedure. It is reversible if needed, but the procedure is intended to be permanent. The surgeon begins by forming your stomach into a tube shape instead of its usual J-shape with a large pouch. The tube shape helps restrict your food intake, but it is not as small in the MGB as it is after roux-en-Y gastric bypass. It is about as wide as your esophagus.
Next, the surgeon creates the bilio-pancreatic limb by making a small loop out of the intestine to as the bypass portion of the procedure. The surgeon then staples shut the large portion of the stomach pouch and the part of the small intestine that has been bypassed.
The MGB restricts food intake by making your stomach pouch smaller. It also reduces nutrient absorption because food does not go into the upper part of your small intestine where most nutrient absorption normally takes place. The surgery is also called an omega loop because of the shape of the portion of the small intestine that is bypassed. It looks like the Greek letter “omega.”
Mini-Gastric Bypass Surgery
There is an additional fee of $500 for BMI’s 49 to 69 and $1000 for BMI 70+
Advantages of the Mini Gastric Bypass
- The procedure can be performed quickly, in 30 to 60 minutes.
- The surgeon can adjust the procedure. For faster weight loss in higher-weight patients, the surgeon can lengthen the bypass limb. For slower weight loss in lower-weight patients, the surgeon can make the limb shorter
- Has a lower risk for side effects than roux-en-Y gastric bypass
- It may lead to better long-term weight loss than the gastric sleeve.
- May lead to remission of type 2 diabetes
- It has a lower risk for GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) than sleeve gastrectomy.
Weight Loss and the Mini Gastric Bypass
- Rapid weight loss in the first year,
- Long-term effectiveness seems to be good, with many patients keeping off excess weight after five years.
- This was greater than gastric sleeve patients in the same study.
- The mini gastric bypass is restrictive and malapsorptive, and it affects your hunger hormones.
- Restrictive: after surgery, your stomach pouch is only a couple ounces large. It is up to you to keep your portion sizes small so you don’t stretch the pouch.
- Malabsorptive: normally, food passes from your stomach to the top of your small intestine, which is where most digestion and nutrient absorption takes place. The procedure changes your digestive tract so that food goes directly from your stomach to a lower portion of your small intestine. You can lose weight because you won’t be getting all of the calories from protein, carbohydrate, and fat.
- Hormonal: Ghrelin is a hormone that your stomach produces. It causes you to feel hungry.
- Ghrelin: the mini gastric bypass can lead to lower levels of ghrelin so you don’t feel as hungry, but your levels of ghrelin may not stay low for long.
- GLP-1: is glucagon-like peptide-1. It helps reduce food intake, and your levels may increase after MGB.
The cost of bariatric surgery is prohibitive for many patients who would otherwise benefit from treatment. Medical tourism is a safe and effective choice to reduce the high cost of expensive surgical procedures, especially when your insurance doesn't cover weight loss surgery. At BariatricPal Hospital MX, you can easily afford your weight loss procedures and achieve your weight loss goals with our financing and payment plan options.
We have exclusive partnerships with two finance companies:
If you're considering surgery to improve your health and appearance, but you're concerned with the associated costs, please contact us to schedule a financing consultation. Weight loss surgery is a life-saving procedure. Our experts will help you find a plan that works with your budget so you can enjoy a healthier, more productive life.
All-Inclusive Weight Loss Surgery for One Low Price!
There are no hidden fees or expenses. It’s an all-inclusive, affordable surgery package! Your weight loss surgery package includes:
Surgery and related expenses
- The surgical procedure
- Fees for the lead surgeon Dr. Illan, two other surgeons, the anesthesiologist, a doctor, and a surgeon’s assistant or nurse
- Exclusive disposable surgical material:
- Tri-staple™ technology titanium staples by Medtronic™ providing outstanding performance for your surgery.
- LigaSure™ blood vessel sealer and divider for optimal safety and results.
- Endo Stitch™ absorbable suture to reinforce the staple line for added security and safety.
- Pre-op blood tests, chest x-ray, EKG, and cardiologist evaluation
- Prescription and discharge medications.
- Required paperwork or reports for you to take home for your records and doctors
All ground transportation
- Pick-up from and drop-off at the San Diego Airport before and after surgery
- Transportation between the hospital and the hotel
5-star accommodations in Mexico
- 2 nights in our hospital for sleeve gastrectomy or mini gastric bypass or 3 nights in our hospital for Roux-en-Y gastric bypass or duodenal switch
- 1 night in the Real Inn Tijuana for recovery after your surgery
- Wi-Fi for your stay in the hospital and hotel
- Free long distance calls to the US and Canada from the hospital
- A companion can stay with you at the hotel for no additional charge.
Full support during your stay
- Dedicated valets to assist you and your companion at the hospital and hotel.
- 24-hr support from BariatricPal staff in the U.S. and Mexico.
- English speaking staff during your whole stay with us.
- Lifetime nutritional support
- Direct access (email and phone number) to Dr. Illan after surgery for follow-up
- Access to our private Facebook group for unlimited information and support