Duodenal Switch Surgery
A two-surgery process with a partial gastrectomy followed by the BPD-DS procedure.
Back to:Weight Loss Surgeries
with a Buddy!
Do you have a friend or family member who is going to get weight loss surgery? Do it together!
- Save $100 per surgery.
- Share a large double room at the hospital.
- Share the hotel room with two queen-sized beds.
- A friend or family member experiencing the exact same things as you.
Support each other in Mexico and have a weight loss surgery twin for life!
Biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch, or BPD-DS, is technically a type of gastric bypass surgery, but it’s less common than Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. The BPD-DS is for more obese patients. It’s a two-surgery process with a partial gastrectomy followed by the BPD-DS procedure. BariatricPalTeamMX’s surgeons are recognized experts in all types of weight loss surgery. They’ve performed thousands of weight loss surgery procedures with the lowest complication rates in Mexico and zero fatalities. You will not find a more experienced Duodenal Switch surgical team - anywhere!
In the partial gastrectomy before BPD-DS, only about half of your stomach is removed, compared to about 85% of your stomach in a vertical sleeve gastrectomy.
Duodenal Switch Surgery
There is an additional fee of $500 for BMI’s 49 to 69 and $1000 for BMI 70+
In the second part of surgery, your small intestine is divided into two parts. One part, the alimentary limb, gets connected to the bottom of your stomach. The rest of your small intestine, now called the biliopancreatic limb, is attached to the bile duct. Food travels down the alimentary limb into your colon, without being absorbed in the biliopancreatic limb. Digestive juices are free to flow from your biliopancreatic limb to your alimentary limb. This means food is digested (broken down), but not absorbed (taken into your body).
Advantages of the BPD-DS:
- Among the highest rates of weight loss in the first year
- Good long-term weight loss and maintenance
- Good choice for high-BMI patients
Weight Loss and the BPD-DS:
- Restrictive: The BPD-DS reduces your stomach size by 50%. Its size after surgery is only four to five ounces, so it doesn’t hold as much food as it did before surgery, when you had your entire stomach. You get full sooner and are less likely to eat too many calories.
- Malabsorptive: Nutrient absorption decreases because food bypasses part of the small intestine and because your digestive juices are rerouted. Even though food is broken in your gastrointestinal tract, it’s not completely absorbed into your body. Therefore, you get fewer calories and nutrients.
The cost of bariatric surgery is prohibitive for many patients who would otherwise benefit from treatment. Medical tourism is a safe and effective choice to reduce the high cost of expensive surgical procedures, especially when your insurance doesn't cover weight loss surgery. At BariatricPal Hospital MX, you can easily afford your weight loss procedures and achieve your weight loss goals with our financing and payment plan options.
We have exclusive partnerships with two finance companies:
If you're considering surgery to improve your health and appearance, but you're concerned with the associated costs, please contact us to schedule a financing consultation. Weight loss surgery is a life-saving procedure. Our experts will help you find a plan that works with your budget so you can enjoy a healthier, more productive life.
All-Inclusive Weight Loss Surgery for One Low Price!
There are no hidden fees or expenses. It’s an all-inclusive, affordable surgery package! Your weight loss surgery package includes:
Surgery and related expenses
- The surgical procedure
- Fees for the lead surgeon Dr. Illan, two other surgeons, the anesthesiologist, a doctor, and a surgeon’s assistant or nurse
- Exclusive disposable surgical material:
- Tri-staple™ technology titanium staples by Medtronic™ providing outstanding performance for your surgery.
- LigaSure™ blood vessel sealer and divider for optimal safety and results.
- Endo Stitch™ absorbable suture to reinforce the staple line for added security and safety.
- Pre-op blood tests, chest x-ray, EKG, and cardiologist evaluation
- Prescription and discharge medications.
- Required paperwork or reports for you to take home for your records and doctors
All ground transportation
- Pick-up from and drop-off at the San Diego Airport before and after surgery
- Transportation between the hospital and the hotel
5-star accommodations in Mexico
- 2 nights in our hospital for sleeve gastrectomy or mini gastric bypass or 3 nights in our hospital for Roux-en-Y gastric bypass or duodenal switch
- 1 night in the Real Inn Tijuana for recovery after your surgery
- Wi-Fi for your stay in the hospital and hotel
- US Cable TV & Netflix in all hospital rooms
- Free long distance calls to the US and Canada from the hospital
- A companion can stay with you at the hotel at no additional charge
- Free private tour of Rosarito Beach and Tijuana
Full support during your stay
- Dedicated valets to assist you and your companion at the hospital and hotel
- 24-hr support from BariatricPal staff in the U.S. and Mexico
- English speaking staff during your whole stay with us
- Lifetime nutritional support
- Direct access (email and phone number) to Dr. Illan after surgery for follow-up
- Access to our private Facebook group for unlimited information and support
- Access to Pre- and Post-Op Psychological Education for Optimal Long-Term Success via MindPrep™ by Dr. Connie Stapleton, Ph.D
- Free 30 day supply of BariatricPal Multivitamin ONE Bariatric Multivitamin.